Baklaava is a staple dessert in the Mediterranean. Paired with an evening cup of mint tea, it is perfection. In the West, Biscotti’s are often paired with a cup of tea, and that too, is delicious.
Today, I baked up a hybrid of both desserts: a healthy, gluten-free, Baklaava Biscotti. Sounds unreal, right? 😉
It was surprisingly simple and there wasn’t much preparation involved. If you give it a try, let me know what you think! 🙂
- 1⅔ cup oat flour
- ½ cup + 3 tbs almond butter (jarred)
- ¼ cup honey
- ⅓ cup pistachios
- 2 tbs milk
- 1 semi-sweet chocolate baking bar (I used Ghirardelli)
- ¼ cup pistachios, chopped
- ¼ cup walnuts, chopped
- ¼ cup pecans, chopped
- ¼ cup almonds, chopped
- 3 tbs honey
- 1 tbs butter
- Sea salt, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
- Layer a baking tray with parchment paper or coat with cooking spray
- In a large mixing bowl, or KitchenAid mixing bowl, combine biscotti dough ingredients (use dough hook or electric mixer to combine)
- Press dough onto baking tray (1½ in. thick)
- Cover baking tray with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes
- Remove from oven and, using a paring knife, slice biscotti loaf into ½ in. slices (the same way you would slice bread)
- Gently move slices away from each so they are not touching and place back in the oven for 10 more min.
- Allow to cool for at least 20 min.
- Place ground chopped nuts on a tray and toast in the oven, on 350 degrees F, for 5-10 minutes
- Remove toasted nuts from oven and place in a bowl to cool
- Add butter and honey to nuts, and combine
- Once the biscotti cools down, dip in melted chocolate and garnish with nuts
- Place each biscotti back on parchment paper
- Once you're done, place baking tray in the fridge and let it cool for at least 3 hours
- The nuts will set onto the chocolate and biscotti
- This recipe can easily be doubled or tripled. I recommend doubling it, because you're going to want more!
- Leave biscottis in the fridge because they taste best cold; once they've chilled, you can stack them in a Tupperware and leave in the fridge.
- Serve with a cup of coffee or tea. 🙂